18 November 2009

Pork Chop Casserole

As requested, this is the recipe for the pork chop, apple and onion layer casserole I posted about a couple days ago.

I get 2" thick pork chops from Costco but any would do I am sure!

The recipe comes from For the Breasts of Friends, one of the best recipe books I have ever had.

6 thick pork chops
salt & pepper to taste
4 apples, unpeeled
4 medium onions (I only used 1)
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter
juice of 1 lemon (~1/4c)
1/4 c water

Brown the chops in heated skillet (as opposed to a cold skillet??) and add seasoning.
Arrange bed of sliced, cored apples (I peeled mine) and sliced onions (about half of both) in a deep casserole. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar and cinnamon mixed. Place chops on these, layer the rest of the apples and onions on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar mix. Dot with butter. Pour lemon juice and water over chops.

Cover and bake at 325-350F for 1 hour (or more for really thick chops). Uncover during last 10 minutes.

Great with rice!

** Now I found my chops to still be a little dry and chewy despite being in a ton of apple and chop juice. Perhaps a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar would help to tenderize the meat and add to the flavour?? as I really did find the flavour quite mild, which was nice, but also allows room for some spicing up. I used gala apples.**

Enjoy :)

No comments: