21 June 2009

Storms

If there is one thing I like, it's a good storm.

Driving home the other day, I ran into several or rather it was one big one, all the same weather front? Who knows but they were different and beautiful.

When I left, the dark clouds were ominously drifting through the mountains. Large and fluffy, the bottoms of the clouds were being torn away like cotton candy and catching in the tops of the trees. The air was dripping with humidity and all was calm and quiet, waiting for the rain to start falling. I wish I could have stopped and taken photos, recorded the silence and bottled the spicy woods smell, but driving was keeping the girl quiet and asleep and I really really needed the peace!

The rain did come and it quenched the land and the flag people that were out doing construction that day. It came in patches as I drove along the curvy road at the base of the mountains.

Then I came out from underneath the mountains and drove alongside the mountain range, enough so that I could see the mountains at a small distance beside me. There it was looming dark and large and moving quickly. It was a storm front. I LOVE storm fronts. I grew up watching them come across the prairies and sometimes you could watch them come for up to an hour before they hit.

Here it is not so, but it was still great. The clouds had risen and crested over the mountain range and were now rolling and tumbling toward the valley beside, dark and menacing. I tried to not forget to watch the road as I was driving but the storm front was gorgeous. The leading clouds pushed forward like horses racing, first one in front then another, then neck and neck they raced forward. Kind of like this one...



I love clouds too. One of my most favorite memories from flying is when there would be large cumulus clouds in the sky and we would fly in amongst them. They were huge and white and fluffy and looked like castles in the sky and the feeling flying between them and being up there is quite indescribable. Like seeing the hand of God. It was the hand of God and it was awesome. They really were larger than one could imagine. Sometimes we literally could reach out and touch them. Of course no one really wants to open a door during flight, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I suddenly remembered that tonight and had to share :)

The girl, whom I thought was extremely gassy tonight, seems to have been ravenously hungry. I decided to let her eat her fill and see what would happen. She is fat and happy and fast asleep on the couch :) So off to bed I go!

No comments: