07 February 2009

Nesting

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as this:
~to build or occupy a nest: settle in or as if in a nest~

The operative words there are build and settle in.

I need to A) build things B) settle in.

We are still short on some furniture and I NEED to settle in before the kid comes. I NEED to organize and sort and resort and reorg and scratch and peck until the nest is clean and orderly.

There isn't much available here in the thrift stores or online. There's a ton of stuff available in Edmonton!! What good does that do me when I live not in Edmonton??????????

I am about on the verge of building a bed for the boy. One that's about 8" off the floor so I can also build custom boxes on wheels that would fit under the bed and accommodate the toys. Or bedding. Or whatever I choose for it to accommodate.

I need to tear apart the closet opening and expand from 46 1/2" wide to at least 481/4" to accommodate 24" doors, which are a standard size, and not the un-standard size they currently are. Not to mention all the closet openings are all different sizes just to be un-standard. (I swear they were somewhat drunk when they built this house).

And then I need to install shelving in the kid's closet so I can find baskets, etc and unpack and wash and sort the baby clothes. This is all going to take time. I am running out of time. 4 months people, goes faster than you would think! Just wait till spring hits and I am absorbed with gardening!!!

And then I have an awkward wall between the bedroom and bathroom. It is curved on one side and on the flat part, the people who chose to be un-standard, made the wall step back 2" half way through. So if you wanted to install shelves, like I do, you have to custom make a shelf that's 2" deeper on one side than the other. Oh ya, and curved on one end and flat on the other.

I am about ready to start making those shelves. All I need is a jigsaw, a cardboard template and I am not sure what kind of support. I would like floating shelves....

Anyways, to say the least the feathers are flying and I am about to tear into 17 different projects.

I'll let you know what disaster ensues.

No comments: