I tore apart the kitchen sink today. The caulking behind the sink has been cracking and I juts noticed how swollen the counter behind it looked. We had bought a new tap (on sale) this weekend and I thought it was high time it was installed.

If you look close, you can see the grimy area behind where the taps would be and that it is raised. Ick. What's worse, the chip board/press board/OSB??? underneath is soaked through and swollen up like a diaper in the ocean and has grown a beautiful layer of mould. Double ick.
I tore out the caulking from all around the sink and the whole length of the back splash (it was a crappy job to start with) and then realized the tiny tube of caulking I had wouldn't last for what I had ripped out.
So then I began to dream....and here's where it's snowballing...

Here's what half of the kitchen looks like. The counter tops HAVE to be replaced. They cheaped out (like on everything in this place) and put ceramic tile for a counter top. Ick again. The grout is...not white. However, they also made the counter tops lower as this place was suppose to be wheelchair friendly but having a counter top 2" lower than regular is not wheelchair accommodating, or so I think.
And the back splash is just wallpaper. Bad wallpaper with little flowers. It's showing it's age.
Anyways, since moving again may become an option after Daddy's expected layoff in April, I am already thinking resale. So I thought, how much could it be for new wallpaper in the background??? I am NOT doing tile, not this far along and besides, I can do wallpaper now and new counter tops later.
Off we went to Home Depot, where they have ready made counter tops. The only thing that messes us up is that we have a breakfast bar that sticks out and requires 3 finished sides and that, needs to be custom as it's a weird size. So that option was out.
I went to one counter top place and for us to install ourselves, it would cost ~$690 for new counter tops. Colour swatch to come, keep reading.
I need to call and get estimates on how much it would cost to have the cupboards taken out, a higher kick plate (the thing cabinets sit on) installed so the counters can be at a normal height, and the cupboards put back. That way, once they are a regular height, a built in dishwasher could then be installed...
So then I started wallpaper hunting. Here are the choices, I prefer choice #4 but give me your thoughts for resale. Keep in mind, I have an inkling to lightly sand the cabinets and paint them white. I detest oak. What would look best???
Choice 1 - rock look. You can see the counter top swatch in the bottom R, it matches exactly.

Choice 2 - 4x4" white tile look

Choice 3 - 4x4" beige-ish tile look. I know, you can't tell the difference from the white...

Choice 4 - small pebble look - My Fav!!! Some of the stones even have a shiny bit to them.

Choice 5 - slate (?) look, more grey than the countertop

The floor is a horrible dark, greyish green that we cannot change as it's ~700 sq ft of the house and the work involved, I am not even touching. Hence I want to go with white cabinets, to lighten up the place.
I also mosied (sp??) over to the Carpet Superstore and found some great deals. They are having a sale on their already cheap prices. So a piece of carpet that would do both small bedrooms (10x10') would be $389 taxes included!!!! Hello??? I've never laid carpet before but really, how hard can it be???? Ya, right, my famous last words...not that it ever stops me...
And to think it all started with these...or rather the need for these...

Alright, I am off to watch another dvd of Gilmour Girls Season 1. I should be through both Seasons within a couple weeks at this rate!!!
Up next, paint swatches for the bathroom and bedroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment