21 October 2009

Homeschool Update

It has been a while since I gave a schooling update. I opened the binder this week to the 7th week and thought, good grief, where has the time gone??

I slacked off a bit the past couple weeks as I have been trying to sort out my schedule and when I thought I had, it just wasn't working so I've been sorting again and really, we just wing it now as each day is different.

I did realize that I need to be doing school on 3 days, both for the boy's learning/interest and for the realization that 2 days just wasn't getting everything in that I wanted and some days he isn't totally into it.

I have also been wanting to put more stuff into his days so it's not just always learning/reading. He is starting to like crafts and colouring, even if his favorite thing to draw is big long lines!

I got a 2 year subscription to the online forums for the Sonlight homeschooling and in there I found a post about extra things to add to each day, crafts, websites, the works! It was great and has given me a bunch of ideas to add to our routine.

firstly, I have collected some flash cards here and there but hadn't used them. So I pulled out the number cards (0-100) and we started by putting 0-12 on the wall because that's what he could count to. Every day we add one more number until we get to 100. So far so good. We're on 15 ;)

Then I got this website off the forum:

www.janbrett.com/alphabet/alphabet_main.htm

It has wonderful Alphabet cards to print off and they are sooo nice! Use the PDF version to get a full page print with no extra bits on it.

I looked at what we were reading about this week (animals, birds) and then used that for the basis of crafts and stuff. So today we made this:



What do you mean what is it??? Isn't it obviously a bird??!!

If you look close, you can see the feet I drew at the bottom of the page. The rest of the bird I drew is covered by, well, feathers!

And then we made cookies in the shapes of animals and discussed which are mammals and which are not, based on the cookie cutters I had!! He loved it!

And this is my "homeschool" wall.



I had two large picture frames I had scoffed from 407 Sqn before I left so I painted them white and use them for our weekly letters and memory verse. I'd like a 3rd one for his artwork but I didn't like the prices at the thrift store. Now that we have job however...

His actual books that I got from Sonlight I have on the bookcase in the living room. They kept falling over and making a mess on the dresser here. I have yet to find a better place for the water jugs...

Anyways, onwards and upwards as Mole would say. (was it Mole? or Rat?)

Now the same place I got the Alphabet downloads, here is free colouring pages by the same artist:

janbrett.com/activities_pages_artwork.htm

And here is handwriting pages:

www.handwritingworksheets.com/

Now this is great. An online museum of museums!!

www.coudal.com/moom/

You can even look up the "largest" collections in Canada. As in the largest Pysanka (easter egg) in Vegreville, AB. The largest perogy on a fork, the largest fly fishing rod, etc, etc.). We Canadians are rather passionate about having the largest whatever. Mark, no additions or comments here, we all know.

Oh, and this one is great, though I don't know the boy would play with this. It's the Berenstain Bears Family paper dolls to dress up!! How cool is that??

www.berenstainbears.com/dressup.html

And then there's my favorite place to look at cool toys. Some great ideas I still have not gotten around to making, but I bought the fabric for!

www.oompa.com/

That's it for now I think. Oh ya. I want to make a felt board calendar and have a large piece of foamcore board for it and plenty of felt but can't decide how to do it. Does marker work well on felt? I want him to be able to read the days and months. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

No comments: